Download a PDF of my Resume
ACCOMMODATION MANAGER -Vancouver 2010 Organizing Committee – Aug. 2008 to Present
Worked to design and implement the successful Homestay Program to house Volunteers in the Sea to Sky Corridor.
Designed & Implemented an extensive Communications/Recruitment Strategy, including AdWords and Facebook, to recruit beds.
Created a video with the Mascots to promote the Homestay Program.
During the Games, I managed 500 beds at Quest University including a complete outfit of the dorms to a hotel standard, including managing the Housekeeping & Catering contracts and managing all staff.
Created Online Surveys to assess demand and interests of workers/volunteers.
Online Marketing & Communications - December 2004 to present
- Web Marketing including Search Engine Optimization, and Pay-per-Click, to improve the sales and effectiveness of websites, drive traffic, and increase the defined “success” of the website.
- Recruitment of Online Panels for Opinion Polling surveys.
- Extensive use of Web Analytics and other tools to ensure customer satisfaction with websites and to increase conversions to sales.
- Implemented online opinion Polls and Surveys to assess interest in products and needs, including using AdWords for Market Research.
- Building ‘Permission Marketing’ Databases for e-mail marketing as part of a comprehensive Inbound Marketing Strategy.
- Design and implement marketing ROI systems to verify the return on current marketing initiatives.
- Administration of marketing budgets and transfer of expenditures to the most productive outlets.
- Extensive web content creation and writing for marketing and information purposes.
- Create and implement marketing strategies and online marketing strategies for commercial and communications purposes.
- Print and online communications pieces.
- Write and distribute a regular e-newsletter & print material for Joan McIntyre, MLA.
- Community Relations for major Squamish development projects, involving web content, communicating with stakeholders, building community relations, negotiations, and creating positive media. Extensive advice and consultation on political strategy.
Clients include: Innovative Research Group, Ledcor Power (Ashlu Project),Sustainet Software Solutions, Garibaldi at Squamish, Joan McIntyre MLA, BC Salmon Farmers, Waterfront Landing, Sea to Sky Hotel, Canadian Outback Adventures, Squamish Developers Association, Boardwalk Gaming, and others.
Council Reports - Squamish - 2007 - 2010
I am running a small business taking notes at Squamish Council and Committee Meetings and distributing them to Developers and other subscribers.
OWNER / MANAGER - Inn on the Water/Squamish International Hostel – Squamish, BC
June 1996 – Dec. 2004
Envisioned, designed, and successfully launched a brand new 80 bed inn and hostel on Highway 99 in Squamish, BC. Increased revenues by over 500% over the previous location.
Along with a business partner, I was involved in all parts of design, construction, and the permit approval process of the creation of a brand new building.
Managed day to day operations including a staff of up to 8, trained staff, maintained and upgraded the premises, etc.
Inn on the Water
MARKET RESEARCH ANALYST - Frost & Sullivan, London, England 1994 – 1995
Researched and wrote extensive, detailed reports (300-400 pages) on aspects of European industry for companies in the industry and financial institutions. The reports were used by customers to implement competitive and entry strategies, assess market trends, and obtain financing.
Reports covered legislative, technological, and marketing trends, market size, growth rates, forecasts, and pricing strategies for a number of market segments under each topic for each report. Topics included Specialty Paper, Recycled Paper, the Recycling Industry and some work in the packaging industry.
Frost & Sullivan
SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE MINISTER OF HEALTH, Ottawa, ON 1992 - 1993
During the 1993 Election campaign, set up one of the most advanced voter databases in Canada, designed phone survey and targeted direct mail based upon the results. Also wrote and designed campaign brochures and print ads.
Dealt with groups lobbying the Minister on local, national and British Columbia issues.
Responded to correspondence from the Minister’s constituents on a wide variety of National issues.
Researched and wrote quarterly reports to the riding. Instituted a regular survey where constituents could easily respond to survey questions.
Designed, conducted and analyzed an Opinion Poll of the riding.
Wrote and targeted Direct Mail.
Mary Collins Letter of recommendation.pdf
MARKET RESEARCH ASSISTANT - Infogroup Inc., Vancouver, BC 1991 - 1992
Designed questionnaires for both Market Research and Opinion Polls.
Sample selection, input, coding and analysis of data.
Support for the conducting of Focus groups.
POLITICAL OPINION POLLING
Designed, conducted and analyzed statistically accurate opinion polls for local municipal and provincial campaigns on a contract or volunteer basis. These polls identified issues of concern, levels of support and provided strategic advice to campaign coordinators and candidates on policy, advertising material and communications plans.
BACHELOR of BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION - Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC
Joint Major in Business Administration and Economics
Emphasis on Marketing and Public Policy
Additional courses on Opinion Polling, Computing Science, Math (Statistics) and Political Science.
Leadership Sea to Sky - Whistler Forum - 2009 - 2010
- Completed the Learning & Leading with First Nations Program.
- Statistics Packages (SPSS for Windows).
- Knowledge of Website Content Management Systems (Joomla, Drupal)
- Desktop Publishing (Word, Publisher, PowerPoint),
- Data Bases (Salesforce.com, Q&A, Access,),
- Spreadsheets (Excel),
- Triathlon [2001 Canadian Age group team member, numerous top 5 finishes in races of over 400 competitors],
- Running [sub 33 minute 10km],
- Rock Climbing [leading to 5.11a],
- Politics (including extensive campaign experience).
I have traveled to 34 countries on 4 continents.